Sunday, September 30, 2007

What happened to Compassion?

The other day I saw a picture on the news of a tiny little girl. The picture was featured with an appeal for help in finding her. As I read on, I was horrified to discover that someone would actually have been sexually abusing such a young child. I shook my head in disgust and then went on with my day. Later that night before falling asleep, I began my customary Prayer Time. Selfishly praying for my needs and the needs of my family, occasionally asking for forgiveness for my many shortcomings and feeling pretty good about myself for taking the time to actually pray, but as I lay my head on my pillow, I was consumed with thoughts of the little girl. I hadn't thought to pray for her. Was she still being abused? What kind of life did she have? What about her family? All day long, I had not shown one ounce of Compassion for this child. Why? Why was it so easy to go about my day? What had happened to my compassion? Compassion in both the biblical Greek and the Hebrew means to be "moved in the bowels", it's that feeling in your gut that forces you to act. Something has changed in our World, and I think it has to do with our lack of Compassion. We are bombarded daily with the horrors of life. Earthquakes that kill thousands, hurricanes that destroy entire cities, sunamies and fires, suicide bombings and war. We have become so numb to it all, that when we see a story about one little child, we no longer have the compassion to stop what we are doing, cry out to our heavenly Father and plead for that child. I'm happy that little girl was found and is safe but I must admit she has changed my prayer life. My prayers are for her, her family and even the horrendous people who were a part in allowing this ordeal. I also pray for those who in the name of justice, were required to view the video of her torture. My prayers now always include a prayer for a compassionate heart in myself and our nation.

No comments: